Friday, November 11, 2005

A new direction for the job search

In the last 3 weeks things have changed a lot in the job search. I have been helping Madeline teach the stainglass and fused glass classes for the last 3 weeks and with that it has changed my direction for the job search. So here I am 3 weeks out of work and I think I have figured out for now what I want to do…I think I want to go and teach art and coach swimming. Now the grades that I want to teach, that remains a question, they all have their advantages and disadvantages, the little kids you can still do all of the holidays with them but most of their projects are short so there are a lot of lessons to come up with…middle school – I hated middle school – but you can do more with them in terms of longer projects but they don’t know what they want from one min to the next and there own bodies are changing faster than they can think…high school you get tricky – most of the kids who are there want to be there and you have some who are doing AP art so there are some set things – but at that stage I feel that some might be better artist than I am, and they can talk with you and those are the teachers that I remember most and I can coach swimming too … I do know that for now I want to go to independent / private school…The school that I would really like to teach in is the Field School but the chances of them hiring me mid year – highly unlikely but I have seen a good selection of art teacher openings mid year- so those make you wonder a little too -but at this point, mid year I am not sure how picky I can be –

What do I have to lose at this point in the job field, search, market…Anything that will keep me away from a dark office sitting behind a desk 40 hours a week sounds like a good change to me…I have found a book at the library called “Great jobs for Art Majors” so that was the morning reading…the other one I found …getting from fired to hired…so those are the books and guides I and going to use to see where I need to go next and what the next steps are…So I have put my resume up on the NAIS.org site (how my brother in law and 2nd cousin both found their teaching gigs) and I need to go a few step further with this and get the cover letters all set up plus the books have a list of other organizations to check into…So that is what I will be doing over the next few days. I also got a copy of the Washingtonian, this month, 55 of the great places to work in DC…and the funny thing is I was looking at one of the pictures and I think one of the girls who I worked with when I first moved up here is in the photo. There are a few places on the list that sound creative and most of them are based on the good and different benefits the companies give…from free lunch, Fridays off, 3-4 weeks vacations and the week between Christmas and New Years (the full office is closed) and other little perks…And AOL was far from being on the list.

Well we have a new glass addict…she started with the stainglass and is moving fast to the fused and with that she has gone out and found the magnetic hook necklaces …little did she know when she offered sale of the necklaces at wholesale that she had a few bite and the order went up drastically. Tuesday was a fun night up in glass – and I never cut anything …I was showing the resume (which everyone was like it looks good) and I was trying to work on a new stainglass pattern, and Madeline had to go get Adina from the airport at 10, so we ended up leaving close to one time …ok so I was going to fuse but its not like there were any kilns open in time… so I was just going to cut and then fuse it when I was teaching on Wed –Tuesday was just a social night and then again so was Wednesday, met up with a friend for coffee in the morning and then had another friend come over to the house, which I had to kick her and her friend out of my house at 6:55 so that I could make it up to the church to help with the stainglass class. It was just one of those good days and I spent so little time in front of the computer stressing about what I will be doing next. I just have to keep telling myself it will all come together…

oh well – I have the big box of glass filled to the top…in fact J is taking the box to her office again to try and get the holiday rush started in case I need to make matching earrings…the holiday season is here and I guess that Is how I can make some holiday money, for now, but I would love to have a job before Christmas for sure.

1 Comments:

Blogger Auntie M said...

I think you would ROCK as an art teacher! :) Yes, schools needing a mid-year hire are a little scary, but it would also be a good way to figure out if you really do like teaching kids. It's only half the year. If you don't like it, it was only five months. If you do like it, it's a great foot in the door!

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home