Thursday, September 01, 2005

Stain glass, Stroms and Gas $$$$

I knew last Tuesday that I had to much luck and cuts where going to smoothly – because last night it took me longer to cut the middle of the stain glass window than it did to do all of the sides last week. I had to many recuts and grinding to get things to fit in place. All but one piece was cut last night and they are all sanded down and ready to wrap this week. So next week all I have to do is cut that last little piece and then start to put it all together.

But on the minds of so many last night: New Orleans and all that has happened there in the last few days. The pictures make me cry. Those who are still there – you were told to leave so why did you stay – thinking that you would make it through another storm and now they are having to send people in to rescue you and then send you off to other towns, is it not better to leave at your own pace than with someone dragging your ass out of there? The ones that I feel for most are the ones who no longer have a home to go back to and they dont have the money or the means to start over there again. So will they drive as far as they can, if they have a car and means to get there and stop and start a new life in a new town. Or will they wait it out and return to the Big Easy - Life down there is not going to be the Big Easy for a while. They are now saying that those who lived there should not expect to come back to the city for 3 - 4 months now. The numbers of the dead keep going up and the bodies keep floating by, they are lost in the count. If you lived there and ever thought about moving away this is the time to do it. And I sit and think that if something like that happened where would I go and what would I do...and I think that I could go home if I had to for a while but the pull of DC would bring me back to be with my friends. Plus to much time at home could send me over board - and where would I do glass there anyways. I am just glad that I am lucky and that all of my family is safe and maybe that is why I dont live at the beach... I have heard that others who lived down there are safe - no they have no idea about their neighborhoods or homes but they are alive and will learn to adapt to the things that surround them...but be on the watch out for New Orleans making it way to other towns -- maybe they will help slow the pace of the crazy lives that we all live.

But then again you start to question is this the beginning of the end of the world with the storms like no one has ever seen hitting and taking away so many lives. The tsunami in Dec and now this one-and not to mention the 3 major storms that hit Florida last year. And others say that it global warming and to many SUVs on the road. No matter what you want to say or believe the weather is changing.

And then to top it off - I had almost panicked on Monday when I heard all day about gas going up so I was glad that I stopped on the way home to get gas for $2.69 and today (Thursday) gas is $2.95 and over $3 at so many other places. I have to have gas to get to and from work, so there is no option not to fill up - it just means less trips to Target to get things I dont need and another reason to stay at Gap so that I can top off my tank. I dont believe there will be the after Labor Day gas break.

3 Comments:

Blogger Auntie M said...

I can't believe the gas prices either. I'm lucky too in that I haven't heard of anyone I know dying. I just hope that the rest of the hurricanes this year (already 3 new storms in the Atlantic) miss DC. Isabel was scary enough, I don't want a worse one.

2:43 PM  
Blogger tiny robot said...

I, too, am afraid of "Stroms".

4:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This place and every one in it would never be the same without you here. Glass is in your blood - you know it is. What would you do without Tuesday nights with Glass class?
Your friends love and cherish you and know how special you truly are. Remember we are all here for you. At times like these we have to appreciate life for what it is...something to be cherished and never taken for granted.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home