Saturday, July 23, 2005

**@#@*$^(#& the crafty bastards

Thursday was a bad day in the news of glass for me. I heard from the city paper and the one show that I wanted to do this year is not going to happen this year...Why in the world would they change to a smaller venue when they had 120 people show last year and knock it down to 70...And when you have over 200 apply for the show and they had to vote out 2/3 -I was cut. So where does that leave me now other than pissed off at the city paper and the fact that I don't get to be in the show this year - Without a fall show...A large fall show that is. There are others who got cut from the show too...And so we may bond together and form our own show for friends and coworkers in the fall.

IF we find a good location with parking in the area and invite friends to come and see fused glass, beading and precious metal jewelry close to the holidays, will they buy?...Do you think that the offer of wine and snacks will attract them?

I have to remember where crafty bastards took me in the past year - HGTV (crafters coast to coast) would not have happened for sure, if I had not been in the show and placed the ad that has been running for free since...Damn it, I was the featured Crafty Bastard of the week and I still got cut - I have talked about it non stop for a year -do they know - no they don't - that I have been a great advocate for the show and the paper for the last year. -- Guess I should have sent a piece to the office and not just pictures - pictures don't do the glass justice all of the time. Ok so I have my stuff out in Harpers Ferry too due to the ad too...The only one that I have found on my own would be Hoopla Traders...And my friends who all love to wear my glass and are great about talking it up and selling it too. At least I had not started adding up stock for the show...But I am still very disappointed and upset over all about the show.

In other news of glass I have a lot of new glass to play with- and much thanks to M & T for a belated birthday gift of glass...A ripple of emerald green that I have never seen, a clear radium, and a solid blue ( that did break in the mail - but I tend to like the broken pieces better)... Then there is the latest arrival from Melissa Treasures of water cut cowboy boots, a clear bubble, rainbow daisies on black and butterflies on clear. And then there was a full order from PJ that came the week before in some of the Savoy patterns on black along with some clear dichroic stringers. OK so I still have some other standard glass that I want to order... Big dots on clear and the small boxes, the never ending list of glass that I want to buy. BUT now the question comes up with do I need to make this order since I no longer have the big fall show that I was planning on... Guess now I need to play with the ribbon awareness glass with the torch for the fall and then start the VERY late wedding gift of a stainglass window for Mona and Jeff. Maybe it is a sign to take a break from the fusing or take the stress out of cranking them out for a show... Another show will come along...But I do think this is another reason why it is just a hobby and not job...

3 Comments:

Blogger Auntie M said...

Sorry to hear about the failings of Crafty Bastards. I don't understand why they would cut their size down either. ::sigh::

8:13 AM  
Blogger tiny robot said...

Also chipping in with sympathy... is there no other show to display at? Surely somewhere in the metro area there's gotta be a not-so-stuffy craft show?? You could haul it all down to Memphis in Sept for the Cooper Young Festival... I'm not sure if there are any booth spaces left, but if you're interested i can give you the internet addy.

Glad you liked the glass. We were overwhelmed at the Intergalactic Bead Festival but had fun. (I bought some fused glass from a nice lady who was selling 'em cheap--and I scored a piece for M with a zigzag cutout--very neato!)

Would it be too difficult to make a pendant in a 5pt star shape?

8:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It is their loss for sure. Enjoy the glass and know there are always other shows that will want to see your work that you can sell. I look forward to seeing all the new pieces that you are working on. I love your glass Had...its just amazing and what you create is extraordinary to say the least.

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home