Friday, April 06, 2007

Job search again

So I had come full circle and had decide that I would return to the school where I have been teaching this year after so many changes have happened in the last few months.  And then last week i find out that they are not going to renew my contract as full time for next year - I was offered part time but as you know I am not married and not going there anytime soon - I kind of laughed and said do food stamps come with that.  They are not willing to work with me and let teach in the morning and let me have my afternoons free to go do swimming - they also want me to do afternoon day care - and that is something I do NOT want to do. I helped my mom with her daycare business for years and I want to TEACH and not babysit. So I get to start the job search all over again. At least this time I have one year experience under my belt, I know what I want to do, I have some lesson plans set and others that I still need to work on - it is spring break this week and I should be doing grades right now and lesson plans for next week but with this blow of the no contract I have to say it is hard to right now to want to go over and beyond for someone who has kicked me to the curb in a way.  And here they are asking about an Art curriculum - and I ask how will you ever get one if you cant or don't keep an art teacher for more than a year and here you are on your 4 th art teacher in 4 years.

I also believe that Kindergarten and First graders should have fun in art and that they should be able to define art as what every they want and not what someone tells them what art is.  Yes they should be exposed to art but they should be able to make there own definition of what is great art.  I have 3 parents who have made me dread teaching the first grade class - they have never come to see me teach they are basing my teaching on what their first graders may or may not tell them, or bring home.  But I have remember that these are just 3 parents out of 180 kids who come to my class.  I have had many come to me and say that their kids love my class and that it is the one class that they talk about at home.  I will admit I am still learning a lot - and it really has taken me the better part of the year to get to this point - that I know which classes like to do what - what levels they are and how to keep them busy - some of the kids would love to come to my class and just use the free draw books every day and sit and draw from them.  there are others who just want to make paper airplanes.  So for now I will try and enjoy the last of the cold days of spring break (what happened to Tuesdays weather?)

As for glass the studio is still closed - and I should be sending glass out to my alum show next week-  hopefully we will be up and running in the studio by May...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home